Before you sit down at the test center to write your essays on the official IELTS Academic exam, what’s one thing you should absolutely do? Take an IELTS Academic Writing practice test! Not only can the test serve as a diagnostic, helping you guide your study, but it can also give you a sense of how close you are to reaching your score goals. With that in mind, Magoosh is thrilled to offer this free IELTS Academic Writing practice test with answers!
Below, you’ll find this practice Academic Writing test, including a PDF version. You’ll also read our scoring advice, then get links to other practice tests and practice questions you can use to get ready for test day.
IELTS Academic Writing Practice Test (PDF with Answers)
When you go through the PDF, try to write your own essays first. That way, you can compare your work to the model essays in the document! And now, without further ado, here’s the sample IELTS Academic Writing practice test:
How can I grade my writing tasks?
So you’ve finished writing the essays—congratulations! Now, it’s time to score them.
Then, look at the scoring rationales in the PDF (IELTS Academic Writing Practice Test with Answers) for both Task 1 and Task 2.
Finally, turn back to your answer. How do your responses stack up? Here are some questions to help guide your scoring:
- Did your Task 1 word count exceed the 150 word minimum, and did your Task 2 word count exceed the 250 word minimum? If not, do not give yourself full points for “Task Response.”
- Did you address each part of the task? Break down the prompt into different parts. Then, match each part of the prompt to part of your essay. If you did not address one or more parts of the task, do not give yourself full points for “Task Response.”
- Does each paragraph have its own clear topic sentence and supporting details? If there are any problems here, then don’t give yourself perfect marks in “Coherence and Cohesion.”
- Do the tasks use transitional language to tie paragraphs together and move from the paragraph to the conclusion? This also affects your “Coherence and Cohesion” score.
- Do you use vocabulary clearly and fluently, avoiding serious errors in word choice, and varying word choice to avoid repetition? If not, do not give yourself full points for “Lexical Resource.”
- Do you use grammar with great skill and no major mistakes, using varied sentence structure to so that your writing doesn’t sound repetitive? If so, give yourself full points “Grammatical Range and Accuracy.” But if the answer is “no,” take some points away in this category.
Extra Practice Tests for IELTS Writing
Looking for another IELTS Writing practice test? Magoosh can help!
First, check out our IELTS Writing Practice Tests post. Here, you’ll find more IELTS Writing practice, including a list of bonus practice tests!
Next, head over to the IELTS General Training Writing Practice Test. In this post, you’ll find a different type of Task 1, but more practice with the same Task 2 you see in IELTS Academic. Task 2 doesn’t vary between test types, so the IELTS GT practice Task 2 is comparable to what you’ll see on the Academic test on the official exam.
Bonus Practice Questions
If you’re not looking for a full IELTS Writing practice test but just want practice with individual questions, these resources are for you. Some of these questions and sample essays are in the PDFs I’ve already shown you, but some of them are completely unique and new!
- IELTS Academic Writing Task 1: Map With Model Answer — When you need practice with map questions specifically for the IELTS, this sample prompt and answer show you what a high-scoring response looks like.
- IELTS Academic Writing Task 1: Process Diagram with Model Answer — Process diagrams on Task 1 can scare students, but they get a lot easier with practice!
- IELTS Academic Writing Task 1: Line Graph with Model Answer (Band 9) — What does a high-scoring response on this common Academic Task 1 task type look like? Our experts show you here.
- IELTS Academic Writing Task 1: Pie Chart with Model Answer — When the test asks you to analyze a pie graph, what should you do? This sample prompt and response will help you prepare.
- IELTS Writing Task 2: Causes/Solutions Sample Essay — How can you get a high score on a causes/solution essay? Take a look at this sample prompt and response to find out.
- IELTS Writing Task 2: Agree/Disagree — we also have a sample quesiton and model response for the common agree/disagree question type!
- IELTS Writing Task 2: Advantage/Disadvantage — Learn how to discuss advantages and disadvantages with a question and sample response for this variation of Task 2.
- IELTS Writing Task 2: Two-Part Essays — With an example question and an example response, learn how to answer two-part IELTS Writing Task 2 questions.
- The Discussion IELTS Writing Task 2 Question Type — Learn how to discuss both sides of an issue in IELTS Writing Task 2 with a question and example response.
More Resources for IELTS Writing
Finally, make sure you’re prepared for the official IELTS exam by familiarizing yourself with all types of the test, from the task types to the question types you can expect to see on the exam! Once you’ve finished the IELTS General Training Writing practice test PDF with answers, take a look at the following to polish your writing even more.
- What do you need to know about IELTS Writing? Make sure you have the basics covered with this overview of the IELTS Writing tasks.
- Taking the Academic test? Here’s your complete guide to IELTS Writing Task 1 (Academic).
- No matter which test you’re taking, make sure you’re prepared for the second task with the complete guide to IELTS Writing Task 2!
- What types of questions can you expect to see on IELTS Writing Task 2? Find out with our guide to Task 2 question types!
- Looking to practice with Academic Task 1? Here are sample Academic Task 1 prompts you can use for this!
- Taking the General Training test instead? Enjoy Task 1 tips for writing a great letter!
Magoosh’s IELTS Essay Scoring Service
Last but not least, you may want to consider getting your essays scored by Magoosh IELTS instructors. Subscription prices and plans can be found at this page for Magoosh IELTS Essay grading.