With the start of a new school year, teachers welcome in a new group of students just waiting to be molded and shaped. I find that reading top quotes about teaching inspires me and gets me pumped up for teaching. Here are a few of my favorite quotes.
- “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” ― William Arthur Ward
- “When you study great teachers… you will learn much more from their caring and hard work than from their style.” ― William Glasser
- “A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops.” ― Henry Adams
- “It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge.” ― Albert Einstein
- “The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery.” ― Mark Van Doren
- “A good teacher can inspire hope, ignite the imagination, and install a love of learning.” – Brad Henry
- “A teacher who is attempting to teach without inspiring the pupil with a desire to learn is hammering on cold iron.” – Horace Mann
- “Kids don’t remember what you try to teach them. They remember what you are.” – Jim Henson
- “There are two kinds of teachers: the kind that fill you with so much quail shot that you can’t move, and the kind that just gives you a little prod behind and you jump to the skies.” – Robert Frost
- “If kids come to us from strong, healthy functioning families, it makes our job easier. If they do not come to us from strong, healthy, functioning families, it makes out job more important.” – Barbara Colorose
- “Students don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” – Anonymous
- “The test of a good teacher is not how many questions he can ask his pupils that they will answer readily, but how many questions he inspires them to ask which he finds it hard to answer.” – Alice Wellington Rollins
- “Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” – William Butler Yeats
- “Teaching is the one profession that creates all other professions.” – Unknown
- “Teaching is a very noble profession that shapes the character, caliber, and future of an individual.” – A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- “The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don’t tell you what to see.” –Alexandra K. Trenfor
- “That’s what teaching is, the art of explanation: presenting the right information in the right order in a memorable way.” – Taylor Mali
- “We cannot teach people anything; we can only help them discover it within themselves.” –Galileo Galilei
- “I am indebted to my father for living, but to my teacher for living well.” – Alexander the Great
- “Education would be much more effective it its purpose was to ensure that by the time they leave school every boy and girl should know how much they do not know and be imbued with a lifelong desire to know it.” –William Haley
What quotes are on your list for top quotes about teaching? Do you have any quotes that inspire you as a teacher? Add them in the comments below.
By the way, sign up for our 1 Week Free Trial to try out Magoosh Praxis Prep!