Preparing for the GRE on a tight schedule is daunting, especially when juggling other vital aspects of life—school, work, family, and personal pastimes all have important places. Recognizing this, we’ve tailored the Magoosh One Month GRE Study Plan for those who want a clear, well structured daily plan to meet this challenge.
We’ve meticulously charted out a daily roadmap to guide you towards achieving your target GRE score within this limited period. Moreover, sprinkled throughout this plan are bits of strategic advice to enhance your study sessions. Also the structure is not inflexible–so as we’ve shown elsewhere you may feel the need to adapt this schedule to better suit your pace, or you may want to consider one of the GRE study schedules tailored for different needs.
One month will fly by, but with your diligence and our guidance, you can reach your target GRE score. Let this plan be your trusted companion as you navigate this intensive journey in one month.
Your One-Month GRE Preparation Game Plan
As you begin your GRE preparation there are some general steps to set yourself up for success. While the study schedule can tell you what to do, consider these seven steps as guidelines that help you maximize benefit.
- Step 1: Start with a practice test. Determine your current standing and any gap between your present score and your target. This initial assessment will also reveal what areas need attention as you set goals and priorities.
- Step 2: Build your foundational knowledge. Gain a clear understanding of the test’s layout, its range of questions, and its scoring mechanics. This will help bolster your confidence in applying the strategies you’ll learn.
- Step 3: Set your study schedule. While our guide has you covered for GRE prep over the next month, it’s your responsibility to fit the work in among your other responsibilities.
- Step 4: Practice daily. That means get work in on both the Quantitative and Verbal sections, as well as vocabulary enhancement and testing strategies.
- Step 5: Keep on testing. Work through daily practice exercises in order to reinforce the concepts and strategies you’re learning.
- Step 6: Prepare for the full exam. Don’t forget the AWA (writing section)! Weekend writing practice and full-length GRE mock tests, will real you for the real thing.
- Step 7: Prepare mentally and physically. “Sound mind in a sound body” as the saying goes, part of preparing for the test means prioritizing sound sleep, do confidence-boosting activities, and eat nutritiously in the lead-up to test day
This outline will guide you to GRE mastery over the next month. It’s a simple formula with proven success!
Study Schedule Essentials
- Magoosh GRE Prep, including Magoosh GRE lessons and Magoosh GRE practice.
- ETS’s Official Guide to the GRE book
- ETS’s Free PowerPrep Tests: When you’re done, we offer video explanations here. I highly recommend using PowerPrep Online if you can, since taking the test on a computer is a good simulation of exam day conditions.
- A physical journal/notebook or similar notetaking/writing app.
- Magoosh’s online GRE Flashcards. They’re free and you can use them on the web, on your iPhone/iPad or Android.
- 6. A flashcard app or website of your choice. There lots of them our there from flashcard maker mobile apps to Quizlet or Cram.
- Magoosh’s GRE Complete Guide
This comprehensive, web-based guide to the GRE gives you the quick but very helpful overview you need to understand this test. You’ll see how the GRE is designed and scored, what skills it tests, how to find and use the best GRE prep, and how to prepare for the GRE’s different sections.
- A Guide to GRE Practice Test Resources
This page includes instructions on where to find good full-length GRE practice exams, and how to take practice tests and incorporate them into your studies. This page also has links to Magoosh’s free GRE diagnostic quizzes.
Most students have achieved spectacular results using nothing but Magoosh. Nevertheless, we recognize that there others who are equally dedicated to your success, and so we recommend additional materials that supplement our own. These plans were structured with far-reaching pedagogical principles, and for most people hearing or reading once is not enough.
At Magoosh, we are very ambitious for our students; we want you to learn as thoroughly and as masterfully as possible. These additional resources are vetted to provide additional practice, alternative explanations, and extra review.
- PowerPrep PLUS. After making use of the free PowerPrep tests, you can pay for additional tests.
- The Official GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions and The Official GRE Verbal Reasoning Practice Questions. If you need more high quality practice question, these are excellent sources!
- Math Review for Quantitative Reasoning Measure. Specifically for math, if you are struggling with concepts these videos and pdf collaboratively developed by ETS and Khan Academy may provide additional insights into specific skils.
- For supplemental reading practice use the site Arts & Letters Daily. There’s new material everyday across a range of subjects and publications.
- Vocabulary.com: provides conversational example sentences and a flood of example sentences
- Dictionary.com: gives you little quizzes & games to add some variety to vocab learning
- Magoosh GRE Prep App on iPhone or Android, for mobile practice
Sample GRE Study Plan: 1 Month
The study plan itself may be downloaded in .pdf form above, and here you can see a sample of days. By design, the schedule exposes you to all topics on the GRE from the beginning. Days 1-5 every week, you’ll do a combination of video lessons and practice problems in both Quantitative and Verbal areas. Day 6s vary, and include everything from more lessons to practice AWA sections (essays) to full-length practice tests!
|WEEK 1||GATHER MATERIALS AND DIVE IN|
|Read official GRE material on ETS's website, complete 18 lesson videos on the Magoosh site (specified in PDF)||Watch 11 lesson videos and complete 6 practice sets on Magoosh's site (specified in PDF)||Watch 15 lesson videos and complete 5 practice sets on Magoosh's site (specified in PDF)||Watch 14 lesson videos, complete 6 practice sets on Magoosh's site, and take 2 quizzes (specified in PDF)||Watch 14 lesson videos, complete 5 practice sets on Magoosh's site, and take 1 quiz (specified in PDF)||Watch 15 lesson videos on Magoosh's site, then complete two AWA essays (specified in PDF)|
Last but not least, if you want to sign up for Magoosh today, use this coupon code at checkout for 20% off: grestudyplan30! Need more help?