There are quite a few accommodations available to TOEFL test-takers with disabilities. You’ll find those ETS disabilities accommodations listed on the page for available TOEFL iBT accommodations. For contact info and instructions, see the TOEFL Bulletin Supplement for Test-Takers with Disabilities and Health-Related Needs.
(NOTE: Throughout the world, with the exception of mainland China and Iran, ETS currently offers the TOEFL Home Edition, an offical exam that can be taken from the comfort of your own home. This remote version of the test also offers full accommodations, although the setup of some accommodations may work differently since test-takers are at home rather than at the test center.
What do I need to apply for TOEFL accommodations?
If you plan to apply for accommodations, make sure to apply early. It will take some time for ETS to review your documentation and make a decision. The same applies to students applying for fee waivers. To apply for accommodations, you’ll need:
- Identify the specific accommodations that you need and will apply for
- Collect documentation of your disability (examples here)
- Fill out the Testing Accommodations Request Form
- Register! Don’t forget that you have to apply before you register for the test. Once your accommodation is approved, ETS will send you info on how to register. You can use our post on TOEFL test dates for additional guidance.
- Make sure to allow six weeks for a decision
Possible ETS disabilities accommodations include:
- Screen magnification
- Selectable background and foreground colors
- Oral interpreter
- Sign Language interpreter
- Large print (test book and/or answer sheet)
- Recorded audio
- Human reader
- Extended time
- Extra breaks
Where do I apply for TOEFL accommodations?
1-866-387-8602 (toll free number, usable in the U.S., Canada, and U.S. overseas territories)
1-609-771-7780 (for use outside of the U.S., Canada, and U.S. territories)
ETS Disability Services
P.O. Box 6054
Princeton, NJ 08541-6054 USA
ETS Disability Services
225 Phillips Boulevard
Ewing, NJ 08628-1426 USA
How to use Magoosh to simulate TOEFL accommodations
You can add extra time to your practice tests on Magoosh. First go to the Account tab on the upper right and choose Profile:
Then select the green Edit Account Information button on the bottom left:
And then select the time change you want:
NOTE: Special thanks to Matt Slayton in Magoosh Student Help for doing the initial research and assisting with the writing.