Are you a non-native English speaker who wants to develop perfect English grammar? Do you struggle to keep track of all the English grammar rules you learned in school? If so, we are here to help! Grammar is one of the most difficult aspects of the English language. However, this doesn’t mean you should give up! Learning English is a great way to meet new people, advance your career opportunities, and broaden your horizons!
Though it will probably take a few years to learn English grammar and master all (or most) of the rules, you can fast-track the process by practicing new grammar concepts every day. So, if you’re the kind of person who likes to stay organized and dedicated with your English studies, this is the guide for you! Below, we have compiled all of the best English grammar resources to help learners at virtually any level.
Before you proceed, we recommend learning more about your English proficiency level so you know where and how to get started! Once you’re ready, read on to find some of the best English grammar resources and take the next step toward English fluency!
Basic English Grammar
It’s always good to start off with the basics. Whether you’re brand new to English or you want to refresh your memory, we have the perfect English grammar lessons and articles for you! However, before you get into specific grammar rules, we recommend checking out our guide on Learning English Grammar in 5 Easy Steps.
Once you’ve checked out the link above, then you can move on to more detailed resources. Here are a few excellent places to get started and learn some of the basic concepts of English grammar:
- Parts of speech in English overview
- How to ask questions in English
- 12 English verb tenses
- How to improve your English vocabulary
- English proverbs: common sayings to know in English
- Modal verbs and their expressive forms
- Contraction in English
Intermediate English Grammar
At a certain point, going over the basics of English grammar won’t do much good. You will need to study more specific aspects of the English language to improve your writing, speaking, and listening abilities. Fortunately, we’ve still got you covered! Here are some great links for intermediate English students:
- Use to or used to: which is correct?
- Relative pronouns: how to use them in English
- Irregular verbs: a definitive list with learning tips
- The ultimate English conjunctions list
- Prepositional phrases: definition and usage
- Reported speech rules in English
- Passive voice: definition, usage, and examples
- Ending a sentence with a preposition
- Conjunctive adverbs list
- Among vs. Between
- What is the object of a preposition?
Advanced English Grammar
If you’ve been learning English for a while, then you’ll want to study more advanced English grammar rules. This will require you to access complex, detailed resources that go far beyond basic grammar. So, here are a few of the best resources to study more advanced grammar rules and concepts:
- What is an Oxford Comma?
- When to use a semicolon
- Et al.: how to use it properly
- Em dash: a versatile grammar tool
- Appositive phrases: what are they and how are they used?
- English intonation: stressed and unstressed syllables
- The zero article: when and when not to use it
- The four types of conditionals and how to use them
- Parallelism: definition and sentence examples
While the links above are all great resources to learn English grammar, you will also need to put your skills to the test. For this reason, Magoosh has dozens of specialized lessons with readings, audios, comprehension questions, and more. These lessons will allow you to improve your grammar while learning about fun and interesting subjects — from American sports to blockbuster movies! Check out our free English classes to learn more!
At Magoosh, our goal is to help students improve their English grammar and abilities as quickly as possible. Fortunately, there are dozens of useful online resources available. Here are a few of the best free and paid grammar resources for English students at any level:
Additionally, here are a few extra English grammar resources from Magoosh that can help you learn even faster:
- 10 most common grammar mistakes in English (& how to fix them)
- Speaking English fluently: 4 tips & tricks
- ESL resources to help intermediate and advanced learners
- 10 English speaking apps for non-native speakers
We hope that you found this collection of grammar lessons and resources useful! While it may be difficult to master every grammar rule in the book, it’s worth the effort to learn as much as you can. Just remember: even native speakers don’t have perfect English grammar! Everyone makes mistakes and every mistake is an opportunity to learn. By using the resources outlined in this guide, you’ll be in a much better position to practice your English with confidence!