No matter how long you’ve been studying English, you’re probably curious to know how your English speaking abilities compare to a native speaker. Unfortunately, assessing your own English conversation skills is not so easy. This is where a free English speaking test comes in handy!
There are dozens of English assessment tests available online, though the vast majority won’t test your speaking abilities. This is why our free English speaking test can help you determine your current level of spoken English.
But how does an English speaking fluency test assess your abilities? And what are the benefits of taking the test? We will answer both of these questions and more, but first, let’s take a look at the kind of questions you can expect on the Magoosh English speaking test:
How does the Magoosh English speaking test work?
The Magoosh English speaking test is fast, yet comprehensive. In a matter of minutes, you can finish the test and analyze your current English-speaking strengths and weaknesses! The test is divided into two distinct sections: Questions and Phrases.
Section 1 – Answering Questions
In the first section, you will be presented with 6 separate audios. When you hit play, you will hear a person speaking in English.
Each of these audios covers a wide range of topics. For the majority of questions, the person will describe a situation before asking a question related to the topic. These questions vary in difficulty, but you can listen to each audio as many times as needed.
Once you’re ready to answer, you must click the “record your answer” button below the audio. Depending on the device you’re using, you might need to grant access to the microphone before you begin speaking. You will repeat the same process for all 6 questions in Section 1.
This section is designed to test your listening comprehension since this is an integral part of English speaking. Additionally, it tests your vocabulary and grammar. Once you’ve recorded your answers for all 6 questions, you can move on to Section 2.
Section 2 – Repeating Phrases
In Section 2, you will not need to answer questions directly. Instead, you will simply listen to a spoken phrase and repeat the same phrase as you heard it. While the content of this part of the test is different, the format remains the same. You will need to listen to each audio and click “record your answer” when you’re ready to speak.
This section tests your listening and pronunciation skills. Your score will depend on your ability to repeat English words and phrases accurately; the better your pronunciation, the better your score!
The Magoosh English speaking test is scored on a scale from 0 – 100. Every question is weighted equally. This means that the maximum score you can get from each question is 10.
How to read your score?
- 80 or Above: Your English is advanced. This means you likely fall within the C1 or C2 levels (CEFR). At these levels, we can help you refine your English and sound more like a native speaker!
- Between 50 and 80: Your English is intermediate. This means that you likely fall within the B1 or B2 levels (CEFR). At these levels, we can accelerate your English skills so that you can handle more situations with greater confidence!
- 50 or Less: You are a beginner. We recommend using other resources to study before you come back to us!
Why should you try our English speaking test?
You probably want to know your current English speaking level as soon as possible. At the same time, it could be scary to take a formal test. We’re here to put your mind at ease. Here are some of the best reasons to take an English speaking test with Magoosh:
- It’s Free – That’s right! You don’t need to pay anything to take our English speaking test!
- It’s Fast – With the Magoosh speaking test, you won’t need to dedicate hours of your valuable time to answering questions. Instead, we consolidated our test format to focus on the most important aspects of English speaking.
- You Get Your Results Immediately – Unlike other platforms for testing English speaking skills, Magoosh provides your results within seconds of submitting your answers!
- You Get an Objective Analysis – At Magoosh, we believe in giving honest, useful feedback to everyone. This means that your score will be an accurate reflection of your current speaking level.
So, what are you waiting for? If you want to assess your current English speaking abilities, there’s no better time than the present.