There are a couple of listening practice sets already on the Magoosh blog. You can check out a lecture-based practice set that I wrote, plus these great suggestions from Lucas on finding good listening practice online. Although it can be difficult to sort out the really useful listening material from the bad imitations, at the end of the day, English practice is English practice, and the more you listen—to anything—the better off you’ll be.
Below you’ll find a listening exercise based on a conversation between a student and a registration clerk. Listen to the recording (02:55-06:12) and answer the questions below.
1. Why does the student go to see the clerk?
- The student does not know what classes to register for.
- The student has missed the registration deadline.
- The student does not know where the library is.
- The student is having problems with the online registration system.
2. According to the clerk, what is the most likely cause of the student’s registration problem?
- The student is registering for classes outside his major.
- The student has an overdue fee at the library.
- Online registration is already closed.
- The student need to pay tuition.
3. Why does the student mention a childhood acquaintance?
- To explain why he is confident in his memory.
- To provide an example that illustrates his point.
- To ask the clerk for help.
- To tell the clerk of a common acquaintance.
4. What will the student probably do next?
- Pay a fine he owes immediately online
- Go to the library after dinner
- Go to the registrar’s office to register for classes in person
- Go research his psychology term paper at the library
The student says (about 03:30) “Whenever I press The ‘Complete registration’ button, I get a notice that says, ‘Sorry, we cannot complete this registration. Please see a clerk for details.’ Although the clerk asks if the student is having trouble choosing classes or professors, the student’s problem is technological. so the correct answer to question 1 is D.
At 03:50, the clerk looks at his computer and finds that the student’s trouble is due to an overdue fee at the library on a psychology book. According to the system, the student owes the library $10. So the answer to question 2 is B.
The student tells the professor that he knew the library clerk to whom he paid the fine. They talked for 45 minutes (04:50). The student worries that the library clerk forgot to log the overdue payment because of their long conversation, so the correct answer is A. The student mentions the childhood acquaintance to explain why his payment was not entered into the system.
The student does not have time to get to the library and then back to the registrar’s office before the registrar closes at 4 PM (05:40). Instead, he decides to go to the library after dinner, after which he’ll register online. So the correct answer is B.