MAT Test Day: Acceptable forms of Identification


Once you’ve decided to take the exam, make sure you have acceptable forms of identification for the MAT.  You can find all the information you need in the candidate information booklet.  We’ll go over the key points here.

Social Security or Insurance

The MAT has most of its testing locations in the U.S. and Canada. Students taking the exam in these countries will need either their social security number (U.S.) or their social insurance number (Canada).

Two Forms of Identification

You must provide two valid (i.e. unexpired) forms of identification for the MAT. Your primary ID must be government issued and feature both a photograph and a signature. Your secondary ID does not require these.

The testing center will accept the following as primary ID:

  • Driver’s License
  • Government-issued identification card or passport

Secondary ID is more lenient (again, no photograph or ID is required here):

  • Credit Card
  • Library Card
  • Student ID
  • Utility bill (as long as your name and address are printed exactly the same as on your primary ID)

I believe secondary ID is even more expansive than this. If you do not have any the aforementioned secondary ID’s, I would contact your testing center for a longer list.

Check Early

Physically find the forms of ID you plan to use (hold them in your hand!); don’t just assume that you have the identification you need lying around somewhere. If you don’t have it on test day, you’re not going to be able to take the MAT. There’s no getting around it.

I would make sure you do this at about the same time you schedule the exam. If you’re missing primary identification, it can take a few weeks to obtain. You want to do it early. Additionally, if you foresee a problem with obtaining identification, you’ll want to contact the test center early to see what your options are.

For more on the candidate information booklet (which goes over rules like the above), see the following:

MAT Candidate Information Booklet