Take a crack at this practice set; it’s based last week’s post Sense of Grammar for Improving Sentences.
Read the following sentences and improve the underlined portions, if necessary. (Remember, some are already correct. See below for key.)
- After giving a great performance, the band heard the audience cheer for an encore.
- She always double checks text messages before she sends them because she believes doing it means she can avoid any embarrassing typos or autocorrect disasters.
- Among all the dog breeds, Great Danes are considered to be taller.
- Born in the Netherlands, the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh have been displayed worldwide.
- In response to comments and requests from customers, the restaurant is serving more vegetarian options.
- One of the app’s new features includes an option where users can connect with each other and compare game scores.
- Many people in my yoga class seem to think that his or her technique is wrong, but the instructor encourages everyone to progress at their own pace.
- Dogs’ personalities vary a great deal because they all result from different breeds and environments.
- Even though both of them were responsible for the prank, Sam and Jeff agreed that the latter should be the one to apologize.
- Completing a triathlon depends not so much on increasing speed but rather developing physical endurance that is enabling you to do your best.
- After visiting the gallery, I decided that her painting was more appealing than all the other artists.
- Since this race will be the longest one, we decided to train as hard as or even harder than we did last time.
- Ben and his teammate Wally are both good players, but Ben learns new techniques faster than Wally.
- Burke’s experience with cardiovascular surgery easily exceeded that of his colleagues and he was highly regarded in his field.
- The city’s community of artists is slowly achieving the recognition they deserve.
Grammatically Correct: 1, 5, 9, 12, 14
Improvement Needed: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15
More from Magoosh
About Tanya Shah
Tanya has taught advanced English and test prep for over five years, and sees standardized tests as solvable puzzles. When she's not reading or writing, she is sampling local bakeries or enjoying the outdoors with her dogs.
Leave a Reply
Magoosh blog comment policy: To create the best experience for our readers, we will approve and respond to comments that are relevant to the article, general enough to be helpful to other students, concise, and well-written! :) If your comment was not approved, it likely did not adhere to these guidelines. If you are a Premium Magoosh student and would like more personalized service, you can use the Help tab on the Magoosh dashboard. Thanks!