Take a crack at this practice set; it’s based last week’s post Sense of Grammar for Improving Sentences.
Read the following sentences and improve the underlined portions, if necessary. (Remember, some are already correct. See below for key.)
- After giving a great performance, the band heard the audience cheer for an encore.
- She always double checks text messages before she sends them because she believes doing it means she can avoid any embarrassing typos or autocorrect disasters.
- Among all the dog breeds, Great Danes are considered to be taller.
- Born in the Netherlands, the paintings of Vincent Van Gogh have been displayed worldwide.
- In response to comments and requests from customers, the restaurant is serving more vegetarian options.
- One of the app’s new features includes an option where users can connect with each other and compare game scores.
- Many people in my yoga class seem to think that his or her technique is wrong, but the instructor encourages everyone to progress at their own pace.
- Dogs’ personalities vary a great deal because they all result from different breeds and environments.
- Even though both of them were responsible for the prank, Sam and Jeff agreed that the latter should be the one to apologize.
- Completing a triathlon depends not so much on increasing speed but rather developing physical endurance that is enabling you to do your best.
- After visiting the gallery, I decided that her painting was more appealing than all the other artists.
- Since this race will be the longest one, we decided to train as hard as or even harder than we did last time.
- Ben and his teammate Wally are both good players, but Ben learns new techniques faster than Wally.
- Burke’s experience with cardiovascular surgery easily exceeded that of his colleagues and he was highly regarded in his field.
- The city’s community of artists is slowly achieving the recognition they deserve.
Grammatically Correct: 1, 5, 9, 12, 14
Improvement Needed: 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15