How well can you remember the SAT words we’ve that we defined in past “megalomnemonical” lists? The questions below all use words that you can remember with mnemonics given in these posts:
So review that vocab, then let’s do some practice.
Sentence completion practice questions
1. Despite her best efforts, Dalia found herself ostracized from her classmates, who nearly immediately began to treat her as a __________________
2. The politician’s reputation for being ____________________ and pugnacious was well-deserved; once elected to the senate, he made few friends and ignited numerous conflicts.
3. Although many doctors have _________________ the virtues of raw garlic as a miracle food, some ___________________ authorities have not been so ready to lend credence to the idea.
- precipitated . . sagacious
- doubted . . cynical
- touted . . credulous
- peddled . . dictatorial
- extolled . . skeptical
4. After the war came to its gradual conclusion, the ____________________ that had initially ignited the conflict was almost completely extinguished, and violence against immigrants plummeted.
5. Although important for mating rituals, the male proboscis monkey’s large, ________________ nose is _________________ at best, almost completely covering the primate’s mouth and giving it an absurd overall appearance.
- luxurious . . impractical
- tremendous . . evanescent
- pendulous . . obtrusive
- unique . . pragmatic
- venerable . . boorish
The answers to the quiz
Don’t look here until you’re done trying to answer the questions. Just to make sure you don’t accidentally cheat, the answers are the last letters in each of these sets of three.
A, B, C
C, C, B
C, D, E
D, A, A
B, E, C
More from Magoosh
About Lucas Fink
Lucas is the teacher behind Magoosh TOEFL. He’s been teaching TOEFL preparation and more general English since 2009, and the SAT since 2008. Between his time at Bard College and teaching abroad, he has studied Japanese, Czech, and Korean. None of them come in handy, nowadays.
Leave a Reply
Magoosh blog comment policy: To create the best experience for our readers, we will approve and respond to comments that are relevant to the article, general enough to be helpful to other students, concise, and well-written! :) If your comment was not approved, it likely did not adhere to these guidelines. If you are a Premium Magoosh student and would like more personalized service, you can use the Help tab on the Magoosh dashboard. Thanks!