Dear all of you lovely readers of Magoosh,
Hello there – and welcome! – to my new humble Internet abode! My name is Elise and I am beyond ecstatic (ecstatic enough to have already used way too many exclamation points) to join the Magoosh team as the newest high school blogger.
I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that there is not a teenager out there who, when asked, would say, “Oh yeah man, that whole standardized testing and college application stuff was, like, a total breeze.”
Because, quite frankly, it isn’t.
This time within our high school careers is hard. Really hard. And having gone through the bulk of it and seen the light at the end of the (very, very long) tunnel, I’ve experienced firsthand all of the ups and all of the downs. So think of me as a virtual masseuse – ultimately hoping to alleviate as much of your stress as possible.
Breaking the Ice – The Top 5 Facts about Me:
1. I get really excited about, well, a lot of things. I’m that person who has a zillion and one passions and often finds herself doing way too many things (ie: journalism editor-in-chief, key club president, writer’s club president, eco club president, theatre, sports, coaching, freelance writing, community service, eating food – so much food…).
2. One of my biggest claims to fame is that I’m an internationally competitive fencer. Not fencing like:
But more like:
I’ve been doing it since about fifth grade and will continue on to fence at the NCAA level in college.
3. I was born without the sense of smell. No, really.
4. Looking ahead to my future (yikes, that word), I plan on pursuing a career in environmentalism – potentially pairing it with law, business, or journalism.
5. I love meeting new people and developing close connections with them. There is so much that you can learn simply by listening to and understanding another person’s story, and I’m continuously inspired by the individuals that I’ve had the privilege of interacting with on a day to day basis.
Background on the Official Stuff
I am currently a senior at San Dieguito Academy high school in the beach community of Encinitas, California, where hipsters are very real and so are my awful surfing skills.
I’ve taken the SAT twice and the ACT once, ultimately scoring higher on the latter despite originally focusing more on the former. This past winter I committed early decision to four years in the Big Apple at Columbia University. My number of AP tests taken: 7 (plus 3 more after this year.) My number of existential crises experienced: umm… too many?
But that’s why I’m here! To attempt to reduce that number for as many other questionably sane high school students as possible. There’s a whole lot to take in junior and senior year – but that doesn’t mean you have to be breaking down every other night and chugging coffee for the sole purpose of reading one hundred more pages for AP Bio.
You owe it to yourself to make this journey an enjoyable one, and I can’t wait to help in every way I can! (I had to end in an exclamation point. I just had to).
About Elise Gout
Elise writes articles for the Magoosh SAT blog to help teenagers during an exciting time in their lives. Despite residing in Southern California, where she attends San Dieguito Academy high school, she has no surfing abilities whatsoever; it’s actually rather sad. She is your typical senior high school girl who sword fights daily, and is pretty much convinced that bananas are a food sent from heaven. Elise will attend Columbia University next fall to study environmental science.
Leave a Reply
Magoosh blog comment policy: To create the best experience for our readers, we will approve and respond to comments that are relevant to the article, general enough to be helpful to other students, concise, and well-written! :) If your comment was not approved, it likely did not adhere to these guidelines. If you are a Premium Magoosh student and would like more personalized service, you can use the Help tab on the Magoosh dashboard. Thanks!