Take a break from your reading and flashcards to review words that you are bound to see on the SAT.
In this crossword, the clues are the parts of speech and definitions for the words. You will find a word list at the bottom to help. If you want to know the answer to a row or column, leave a comment with the number and the word you think works, and I’ll let you know if you are right.
2. verb: to wander aimlessly
4. verb: come out better in a competition, race, or conflict
5. adjective: describing a lively atmosphere
7. noun: a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
10. verb: try to gain favor by extreme flattery
11. verb: make dirty or spotty, as by exposure to air; also used metaphorically
14. noun: a pause from doing something (as work)
15. adjective: showing a high degree of refinement and the assurance that comes from wide social experience
16. adjective: plentiful; pouring out in abundance
19. adjective: to have a very strong desire for revenge
22. noun: a slight or superficial understanding of a subject; a small amount of something
23. adjective: difficult to capture or difficult to remember
1. adjective: so old as to appear to belong to a different period
3. verb: pass on or delegate to another; verb: grow worse (usually “devolve into”)
6. adjective: very hungry; approaching an activity with gusto
8. adjective: tastelessly showy; cheap and shoddy
9. adjective: ill-tempered and not inclined to talk; gloomy; adjective: resistant to guidance or discipline; stubbornly persistent
12. adjective: having or revealing little emotion or sensibility; not easily aroused or excited
13. adjective: dull and uninteresting
16. adjective: eager to fight or argue; verbally combative
17. verb: damage the good name and reputation of someone
18. adjective: not easily irritated
20. noun: an angry speech
21. verb: reduce in worth or character, usually verbally
22. noun: one who spends money extravagantly
The crossword puzzle was created with the help of Discovery Education’s Puzzlemaker Tool.
More from Magoosh
About Kevin Rocci
Kevin helps Magoosh students by making sure none of their questions go unanswered. A UC Santa Cruz graduate with a BA in Politics and a minor in Film, he loves education, bluegrass, the Sierras, and the Pacific. The vastness of the universe does not deter him from hoping to meet an intelligent life form from another planet one day.
Leave a Reply
Magoosh blog comment policy: To create the best experience for our readers, we will approve and respond to comments that are relevant to the article, general enough to be helpful to other students, concise, and well-written! :) If your comment was not approved, it likely did not adhere to these guidelines. If you are a Premium Magoosh student and would like more personalized service, you can use the Help tab on the Magoosh dashboard. Thanks!