Want to learn a game? It’s a writing game, based on general rules of English—grammar and style—but with its own idiosyncrasies. It may not be the most fun game in the world, depending on your proclivities, but if you are up for the game, then, like any game, you must learn the rules. The good [...]
The GRE Argument Essay does not need to be difficult. It certainly does not need to inordinately tax you before you even begin the test itself (remember both the Argument and the Issue come before the verbal and math sections). To make sure you finish the essays with confidence—and not a racing pulse and heavy [...]
The GRE essay topics on the Issue task seem to come such a variety of different fields that there seems to be little discernible. There are, however, several “buckets”, or categories, that the GRE Issue essay tends to fall into. Below I’ve come up with these categories and also cut and pasted the actual issue [...]
Given the sheer number of students who ask me this question, I am surprised that there are so few resources that offer such a service. So what do you do when you’re desperate? Well you have a few options to consider. ETS ScoreItNow! For $13 dollars, the ETS ScoreItNow! Essay Grader will grade two of [...]
Your ability to cogently state and ably defend a position is critical to your AWA score. But even if you add to that a tight structure and a logical flow between sentences, you aren’t necessarily assured a ‘6’, or even a ‘5’. Lurking in the shadows of your prose is something just as important—grammar. Of [...]
Imagine making the GRE a three-hour test instead of a four-hour one. All you have to do is skip both AWA essays. And if you already taken the GRE and have scored really well on both essays what is there to lose, right? The answer is an awful lot, depending on the programs you are [...]
The AWA essay is no easy task. It is basically a 30-minute sprint in which you must display the poise of a ballerina. Even those who’ve trained for months find themselves running out of time at the end. Below are five time saving tips that can help you change an amazing 33-minute essay into an [...]
Hi, all! We’re releasing Magoosh English on Wednesday, August 29th! I would highly recommend signing up for the free 1-week trial for two reasons: 1. To try out the material to see for yourself whether you want to register. 2. We’ll be sending all of the 1-week trial subscribers a discount code the day before the [...]
Today, I will take apart a prompt from the Issue task. That is I’ll brainstorm, coming up with pros and cons and specific examples to back up each side. I’ve taken an example from the ETS website. If you don’t know already, their offers hundreds of sample essay prompts. Now if you’re not convinced and [...]
In a previous post, where I brainstormed ideas on a sample topic, I mentioned I would write a mock essay using those ideas. Below is that topic. And below that is the essay. Prompt In any field of endeavor, it is impossible to make a significant contribution without first being strongly influenced by past [...]
Magoosh GRE Newsletter
Study Plans and Schedules
- 1 Week Study Schedule
- 1 Month Study Schedule (Daily)
- 1 Month Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 60-90 Day Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule for Beginners (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule: Math Focused (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule: Verbal Focused (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule for Advanced Students (Daily)
- 6 Month Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 6 Month Study Schedule: for Math Beginners (Daily)
- 6 Month Study Schedule: Advanced Math (Daily)
- What is a Good Score on the Revised GRE? January 3, 2012
- New GRE Book Reviews August 22, 2011
- Manhattan GRE Book Review January 10, 2012
- Kaplan New GRE Premier 2011-2012 Book Review August 26, 2011
- The New GRE Point Scale May 27, 2011
- GRE Vocab Wednesday: What’s the difference? June 19, 2013
- GRE Vocabulary Flashcards June 18, 2013
- Ten General Guidelines for the GRE AWA – Part I June 18, 2013
- TOEFL Writing Topics June 17, 2013
- Student Post: Allow Enough Time for GRE Prep June 14, 2013
- Chris Swimmer: You got it right! It was a much greater accomplish...
- Chris Swimmer: Hey Elizabeth! I have to admit I'm not extremely ...
- Chris Swimmer: Hey. :) Looks like Rensselaer is ranked at #38, so...
- Chris Swimmer: Definitely check out the US News report to see whi...
- Chris Swimmer: Hey Hani! It's hard to say. If your Master's wa...