For students who spend most of their time studying from the ETS book and the on-line paper-based tests, you are probably used to seeing four Data Interpretation questions per test. On the actual test, which has twenty questions per math section, there are only three Data Interpretation questions per section, leading to a total of [...]
First, a practice question about the following scenario. In a survey, 86 high school students were randomly selected and asked how many hours of television they had watched in the previous week. The histogram below displays their answers. 1) Histogram First, a reminder on histograms. Histograms are not simple bar or column [...]
First, try these practice questions. (The following diagram applies to questions #1-3) The following boxplot shows the 2012 season runs batted in (RBIs) of 280 American League batters (the top 280 batters in terms of number of plate appearances). 1) What is the size of the IQR of this distribution? 25 47 56 83 140 [...]
The 2nd edition Official Guide has just been released. At the back of the book is a new test (GRE Practice Test 2). In general, the concept break down is not surprising, if you look at the concepts that pop up in Practice Test 1 (which is the same as the practice test in the [...]
Scatterplots To begin, let’s review scatterplots. When each data point (each person, each car, each company, etc.) gives you a value for two different variables, then you can graph each data point on a scatterplot. Here’s an example. Suppose we survey ten students who came from the same high school to the same college. We [...]
GRE Data Interpretation Practice Set The following pie chart shows the breakdown of revenues for a particular grocery store over the first quarter of this year. The bar chart shows the detail of breakdown for frozen foods. 1) What is the dollar amount of sales of canned goods in the first quarter of [...]
Fact: within the course of each Quantitative section, you will have, on average, two sets of Data Interpretation questions. Each set will present data in some form (graph, table, etc.), and you will have two or three consecutive questions on that same data set. Why does the GRE ask Data Interpretation questions? Absolutely in [...]
Helpful Tips for the GRE Data Interpretation Section If I had to count the number of questions/concerns regarding combinations or permutations, I’d have to use some pretty mighty factorials to do so. On the other hand, if I had to count the number of times students have expressed the same misgivings regarding Data Interpretation, I’d [...]
Hi, all! Here’s a data interpretation problem– try to figure it our for yourself before I post the answer and video explanation tomorrow! What was the approximate population of Town X in 1945? 150 750 1500 3000 6000 Also, if you haven’t noticed the pop-up poll on the bottom right of your screen, make sure [...]
Timing is a big issue for many on the GRE math section. One way in which students could end up saving precious minutes is by using mental math shortcuts, the most powerful of which is known as approximation. What I’ve noticed, however, is some students feel they have to set up some sort of proportion to [...]
Magoosh GRE Newsletter
Study Plans and Schedules
- 1 Week Study Schedule
- 1 Month Study Schedule (Daily)
- 1 Month Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 60-90 Day Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule for Beginners (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule: Math Focused (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule: Verbal Focused (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule for Advanced Students (Daily)
- 6 Month Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 6 Month Study Schedule: for Math Beginners (Daily)
- 6 Month Study Schedule: Advanced Math (Daily)
- What is a Good Score on the Revised GRE? January 3, 2012
- New GRE Book Reviews August 22, 2011
- Manhattan GRE Book Review January 10, 2012
- Kaplan New GRE Premier 2011-2012 Book Review August 26, 2011
- 90 Day GRE Study Plan for Beginners March 5, 2012
- GRE Vocabulary Flashcards June 18, 2013
- Ten General Guidelines for the GRE AWA – Part I June 18, 2013
- TOEFL Writing Topics June 17, 2013
- Student Post: Allow Enough Time for GRE Prep June 14, 2013
- Princeton GRE Scores June 13, 2013
- Chris Lele: Hi Krishnendu, The feedback from students is th...
- Chris Lele: Hi David, That is a great question! I think the...
- Chris Lele: Hi Cait, Yes, no matter what, guess. There is a...
- Chris Lele: Hi Sarika! Sorry your prior comments seem to ha...
- Chris Lele: Hi Dara, Good job on that score! Sure, for HBS ...