For students who spend most of their time studying from the ETS book and the on-line paper-based tests, you are probably used to seeing four Data Interpretation questions per test. On the actual test, which has twenty questions per math section, there are only three Data Interpretation questions per section, leading to a total of [...]
Back in the days of the old GRE, there was only one book out on the market written by ETS (the creators of the test): the hoary 1991 tome Practicing to Take the GRE. At that point, there were few, if any questions, relating to statistics (probably a straightforward median and mode question). Of course [...]
For all the fear that they inspire, rate questions are a relatively rare breed on the GRE. At most, you will probably see three such questions out of the 40 total questions. Rate questions can be broken down into work rate questions and distance problems. Each test will probably have one of each, and maybe [...]
There are few concepts on the GRE that frighten students more than that of probability. Many go out of their way to study difficult probability questions, agonizing over concepts that are beyond the scope of the GRE. Test day, though, you might only see one probability question. You will probably see two, though you might [...]
For the GRE Quant, you definitely need to know your geometry. But just how much should you be fretting about triangles, circles, and the like? Well don’t expect half of the questions in the math section to be geometry based. The real number is a little less than ten out of forty – though, depending [...]
This one is a real toughie. It is probably more difficult than any quantitative comparison question you’ll see test day. See if you can crack it under 3 minutes. A cube of cheese is 3-inches high. The cheese is sliced twice. Column A Column B Resulting surface area of all the slices of cheese 90 [...]
Try the question below. It is not as tough as some of the challenge questions on this blog. That said, see if you can solve in less than 1 minute. Good luck! Chelsea has a bookshelf consisting of ten classics: four Russian novels, three British novels, two French novels, and a German novel. If she [...]
What can you assume on GRE geometry diagrams, and what can’t you assume? First, here are a couple of practice questions. 1) Quadrilateral ABCD is a rectangle. 2) What you can’t assume on GRE geometry problems The biggie is: no diagram is drawn to scale. That means — if nothing is specified about the [...]
In most likelihood, you will only get one or two combinations/permutations questions per test. Typically, the questions are quite challenging. Knowing the standard formulas won’t be enough; you’ll also have to use logic, and a fair amount of grit. Below is a question that will really force you to think, and rely on that grit. [...]
Triangle ABC is symmetric about the y-axis. Point A is located at (-4,0), and AB is the longest side of ABC. If the perimeter of ABC is 18, what is the area? 3√2 6 6√2 12 24 Step #1 With coordinate geometry questions in which there is no coordinate plane, always make sure to draw [...]
Magoosh GRE Newsletter
Study Plans and Schedules
- 1 Week Study Schedule
- 1 Month Study Schedule (Daily)
- 1 Month Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 60-90 Day Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule for Beginners (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule: Math Focused (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule: Verbal Focused (Daily)
- 90 Day GRE Study Schedule for Advanced Students (Daily)
- 6 Month Study Schedule (Weekly)
- 6 Month Study Schedule: for Math Beginners (Daily)
- 6 Month Study Schedule: Advanced Math (Daily)
- What is a Good Score on the Revised GRE? January 3, 2012
- New GRE Book Reviews August 22, 2011
- Manhattan GRE Book Review January 10, 2012
- Kaplan New GRE Premier 2011-2012 Book Review August 26, 2011
- 90 Day GRE Study Plan for Beginners March 5, 2012
- GRE Vocabulary Flashcards June 18, 2013
- Ten General Guidelines for the GRE AWA – Part I June 18, 2013
- TOEFL Writing Topics June 17, 2013
- Student Post: Allow Enough Time for GRE Prep June 14, 2013
- Princeton GRE Scores June 13, 2013
- Chris Lele: Hi Krishnendu, The feedback from students is th...
- Chris Lele: Hi David, That is a great question! I think the...
- Chris Lele: Hi Cait, Yes, no matter what, guess. There is a...
- Chris Lele: Hi Sarika! Sorry your prior comments seem to ha...
- Chris Lele: Hi Dara, Good job on that score! Sure, for HBS ...