These days, everyone and everything has gone “social.” So why not look to the social sphere for advice about graduate school admissions? Below are my favorite social sites for finding information about the application process. And in true social fashion, you can post your questions and start your own threads as well 🙂
1. Reddit – Reddit isn’t just useful for finding photos of cats and funny memes; it also has a lot of great information lurking on its pages. I’d recommend reading these threads:
- Advice from a Graduate School Admissions Coordinator
- Advice from an Admissions Director of Computer Science
- Discussion with an Engineering Grad Student and TA attending a Top 10 School
2. Quora– A question-and-answer website maintained by its community of users, Quora presents useful information in an organized and easy-to-use way. Here are several great reads:
- What should be the flow of thoughts in a Statement of Purpose?
- How much do top-tier grad schools care about grades?
- If I have good research projects and publications but a low GPA, will top grad schools accept me?