Directions: First, watch the introduction video. Then, in each of the following 10 sentences use the blank space to write in two or more possible answers. Pay close attention to the wording and logic of the sentence. Focus on the way in which the sentence provides clues about the relationships between words, phrases, or clauses within the sentence. Catch Word relies on careful reading and concentration. Suggested answers follow in the video at the end.
1. Taking good notes in school is a solid _____________________ that usually results in good grades.
2. Wearing white socks with sandals is not generally considered to be stylish; in fact, in certain dress-conscious circles it is absolutely __________________________.
3. The middle of the night is not the best time to write a lengthy essay unless you are the kind of person who can survive on a ________________________________ of sleep.
4. The life of a politician is usually _________________________; nevertheless, there are men and women who are willing to pursue this profession.
5. Her idea of an exciting evening is to stretch out in a tub of warm water with a novel about vampires who are temporarily stuck on another planet, unable to ______________________ to earth.
6. He was the sort of physician who actually never got emotionally close to his patients, yet he was considered by many of his peers to be the among the most _________________________ specialists in his field.
7. When parties to a negotiating session begin yelling at one another, passions erupt and all pretense of ____________________ is soon abandoned.
8. It has been rightly said that there is never a true end to the work of an artist; in fact, it may be even more difficult to tell exactly when an artist has ___________________________________ the creative process.
9. Even though the boss said he wanted these reports by the end of the day, I think he means as soon as is reasonably possible. He wants to motivate us, to be sure, but he is a
10. The early morning sunshine came through the window like the pure energy it was, diffusing its _____________________ throughout the room.