This week’s question is a Reading Comprehension problem, and there’s only one right answer– good luck, we’ll be posting the correct answer and explanation tomorrow!
Car Owner: Not all certified auto mechanics are honest. Therefore, though all the mechanics at Nick’s Auto Garage are certified, there must be a few who are dishonest.
The flawed pattern of reasoning exhibited by the car owner is most similar to that exhibited by which of the following statements?
- Although some R-rated films contain nudity, all of de Guzman’s films are R-rated. Therefore, some of de Guzman’s films contain nudity.
- All champagne comes from France, but not all champagne is dry. Therefore, French beverages need not be dry.
- Although some chili is not spicy, all chili is hearty. Therefore, food can be hearty even if it is not spicy.
- Not all thieves get caught, but all thieves are criminals. Therefore, people can be criminals even if they don’t get caught.
- Not all professional basketball players are tall; some short pro basketball players are former track athletes. Therefore, the short pro basketball players were all, at one time, track athletes.
Update: Here’s the answer/explanation post!