Submitting an application to a top level university can be both demanding and highly stressful. The application consists of a number of processes, and one slip up in any area can cost you your place within the top university of your choice.
While most students will choose 3 universities that they would like to attend, it’s true that almost every student has a top choice in mind when making their applications.
MBA consultancy is not cheap, and fees for consultancy services average between $5000 and $10000, depending on the level of support required. However, the right MBA consultant can make a dramatic impact on the success of your application.
With more than 300 firms now offering MBA consultancy services, and more than 500 MBA consultants operating for these firms (some of which work on a freelance basis) it’s absolutely crucial that you first explore your options and consider which company (and consultant) is right for you before committing to any kind of contract.
Knowing When to Call in an MBA Consultant
MBA consultancy services have proven to be very popular with students looking enroll at the best business schools, but students in law, medicine and other key subjects appear to be less likely to hire MBA consultants.
The number of students using MBA consultancy firms and freelancers is certainly on the rise, and with so many applicants now enrolled at institutes such as Harvard, Stanford and Wharton thanks to the assistance provided by MBA consultants it is understandable why more and more enrolment applications are now being handled by these experienced firms.
The right MBA consultant can help craft your application, and help alleviate some of the stresses involved with the application. However, a wrong choice can turn an already nerve-racking process into a highly stressful (and expensive) situation.
Before you sign a contract with an MBA consultancy firm and pay the fees it’s a good idea to consider what it is, exactly, that you expect from the service and the consultant. Knowing what you want will help you to ensure that you only pay for what you need. It also tells the consultant exactly what you expect and it helps you to gauge whether or not the consultant is right for you.
A Successful Choice in Consultancy Can Lead to a Successful Application
As with any decision in life, you should be asking yourself a series of questions before signing your name on the dotted line.
Initial questions you should consider include:
- Does the service provide clear descriptions of the services on offer and the cost of each service?
- Do the services being offered meet your individual needs?
- How long has the firm been in business, and what are their qualifications and experience?
- Will you work consistently with one specialist or will you work with several people on your application?
With a simple checklist you can quickly and easily contact a number of MBA consultancy firms and decide, based on this criteria which ones pass the first test. This time saving method will help ensure that you are paired up with a suitable consultant.
1. Request independent testimonials and proof of previous successful admissions, especially from students who they helped enter the university you are hoping to enroll at.
2. Request the background history and details of experience of the consultant you would be paired with. You should be looking for a consultant who has experience in both admissions and business.
3. Request a list of the associations that the consultancy firm is a member of (organizations such as NAGAP, AIGAC, HECA and IECA are a good start).
4. Expect tailored advice that’s customized to you, and if you’re unsure that you’re going to get this then look elsewhere.
5. Arrange a direct conversation with the head of the firm to ensure that you share the same goals and expectations. Ensure that you agree on the potential of your application.
Remember, that the right choice for a MBA consultancy firm can make a dramatic impact to the likelihood f your application being accepted by your dream institute.
Author Bio: Davis Miller wrote this article. Recently he got a great consultation from Ivy MBA consulting for selecting his MBA program.